Sunday, January 30, 2011

Hokey Pokey Is Love

Love really is a universal language. This week I learned how true that is.

I spent about an hour with a small school in a village accessible only by boat. About 100 kids with the saddest, darkest eyes just stood there silently in front of a goup of Americans who came to host free medical clinics. I can't stand silence..it's just awkward. The only problem was that the kids didn't speak a bit of English and I only know a few Lao phrases that didn't last very long. So, in hopes of seeing some smiles, I attempted to teach them the Cotten Eye Joe. And yes, I looked like a little crazy. But these kids LOVE to sing and dance. Alicia, Joy and I continued with the Hokey Pokey, Chiquita Banana, Jesus Loves Me (club version), Deep and Wide, Peace Like a River, and more. We sang whatever we could make up dances or claps to and we were automatic friends with those kids. The smiles on their faces and the light that suddenly filled their eyes were enough to keep us dancing like fools.

Most of those kids have never even left their village. They danced to some songs they couldn't understand the meaning of. They can hum the tunes, but still no understanding. Their eyes are dark again. I left that village feeling pretty useless, wishing I could do more. Sure, they had fun for a few minutes, but what good is that really? I plan to keep visiting those precious people, communicating the only language we have in common..love. It makes my eyes a little misty to think about the day I'll be able to explain the meaning of those songs to them (except the hokey pokey..I have no idea) and tell them about the Truth that can bring everlasting smiles to their faces and brighten those dark eyes forever.

Until then, we'll just communicate in the only language we can.

3 comments:

  1. It makes my heart so happy that there are kids on the other side of the world that have heard Chiquita banana! Seriously for real!

    Love never fails. That's a promise! 1C13.8

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Beautiful:) I'm so thankful for your life and that you're living out your purpose! I love you!

    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious, Margaret! I KNOW you guys communicated volumes to those kids. You are right - Love is an international language that doesn't need words.

    Now, as a music educator, I'm gonna have to get back with you on the Hokey Pokey. I would hate for those kids to be eternally in the dark about such matters! LOL

    Seriously, remembering all of you and yearning with you for the day you can really explain those things to them with spoken words.

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete