Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lately in the Phil

I'm writing from Bacolod City, Philippines! I need to learn how to better get into this whole blogging thing, because SO many things are happening and are going to happen that I can't not tell about!



Just to catch up on what's going on......



I left home on October 11 and have been here in Bacolod for 10 days. We've spent the past week or so getting settled in to our new temporary home, learning how to get around the city (public transportation is jeepney), and learning a little Illongo language so that we can communicate better.



(about that leaving home thing...it wasn't as bad as I expected. My Father has given me everything I need to comfort me through it all and he is continuing to do so! Of course I miss my family and people who I'm close to, but I also know that I'm here for very specific purpose and could not be more honored/blessed/excited!)



Also, I've been getting to know the two girls I'll be working with, Alicia and Joy. They are both wonderful and I can tell that Father knew what he was doing when he put us together. We've begun studying L together so that we'll know more about the place we're going and how things work there. We also have begun a Bible study together. I'm loving every minute of getting to know them! It's funny to see how much Alicia and I have in common, yet we're so different in other ways! And Joy is just as her name describes, joyful! She's always laughing, smiling, and so friendly. A couple of days last week, Alicia and I visited a school and led a kindergarten class in songs and games and then talked to the oldest high school students about ourselves and the greatness of our Father. I really enjoyed visiting the school and we have been invited to come back.

Next week, we will start our TESOL training. TESOL stands for "teaching English to speakers of other languages." Classes will be Monday-Thursday, Monday-Saturday, then the following 3 Saturdays from 8:30-5:30. I'm not especially looking forward to so much class time, but I know it will be worth it. This training will certify us to teach English up to the college level. (I guess that's the highest level?)


So, that's what's been going on. We also eat a lot. The food here is sooooo good and I'm gaining weight. Some say their clothes are shrinking. I decided I would start exercising since I'm gaining all this weight, except that I don't have any running shoes. I went to two different malls and several stores and found NO SHOES IN MY SIZE! They don't make them that big here. I just needed a size 10, but 9 was the biggest. So I had to buy man shoes. Sad day. I have yet to get up early enough to run, but maybe tomorrow. Or maybe Monday. It's too hot to go any time besides early morning!

Until next time........Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment