Saturday, October 10, 2009

praying for the unknown

"..the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will. And we know that in all things God works for hte good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." -Romans 8:26-28

Right now, I'm having a hard time accepting that I have no idea what the future holds for me. I keep trying to plan it for myself. I keep trying and trying to run from my current situation, just because I'm not happy with it. Sometimes I feel as if there is nothing ahead for me. I feel like I've come to a dead end and I'm stuck. My plans are not God's plans. He's made that clear. I'm just left asking what are His plans? What does He want me to do right now?

Right now, I have no idea what to ask for. I want to ask for certain things, but only out of selfishness and not because I feel Him leading me. I don't know what to pray for but the unknown. Luckily, this Scripture tells me that I have the Holy Spirit praying with me and for me, and God answers. I need to ask for God's help and for the Spirit to intercede for me in accordance with God's will, and I need to trust that God will lead me to do what is best.

God doesn't work to make us happy, but to fulfill His own purpose. Those "who have been called according to his purpose" are those who have received Christ. Such people should have a new perspective, a new mindset on life. They trust in God, not in life's treasures; they look for security in heaven, not on earth; they learn to accept, not resent, pain and persecution because God is with them. (I took this paragraph pretty much straight from my Bible's commentary.)

And wow. That last sentence gets me. I trust in worldly things, look for security in people and things on earth, and I'm holding on to a lot of resentment. I'm constantly let down because of that. Because I'm not trusting in God. I'm trying to do it all myself and rely on what I can see and touch. My trust has become so thin that it's barely left. I've tried to take control ahead of God. I need to stop. I need to pray for the unknown, for God's will and His purpose for me, not my purpose for me. And I need to trust that God leads me to do what is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment