The first part of Acts 16 talks about one of Paul's journeys, and how that when Paul was on his way to go into the city of Mycia, "the Spirit of Jesus would not allow him to". That night Paul had a vision of a man begging him to go to Macedonia to help. Paul interpretted this dream as God telling him to preach the gospel in Macedonia, not Mysia at this time.
Paul thought he was going in the right direction, but God told him otherwise. It's comforting to know that even the most noble plans of the great missionary Paul sometimes differed from God's plans.
Lately I've been thinking about the plans I previously made for myself and how I didn't feel peace about them. I planned on going to seminary before going on the mission field full time..I thought I could use the training.
Then I thought I could do a bunch of other things that sounded perfect and God-honoring..but they were my idea, not His. I convinced myself that it would work, and I tried to convince God that I knew what I was doing, and that everything would work out.
Of course, during that time, I was miserable. I felt NO peace about anything, and nothing was working out. Finally, we realized. We were so unhappy and out of God's will.
God's plans for me weren't anything like my plans for me. Now, I'm single and going straight to the mission field without seminary first. Looking back, I was selfish in those decisions. I didn't think I was at the time..I thought I knew best.
Feeling God's peace now is an amazing feeling! Knowing that I'm actually in God's will is an amazing feeling, too! Of course I still have ups and downs, but ultimately, God's peace and will in my life are more important to me than chasing after my own selfish desires.
Peace is one of the most obvious signs of the authority of Christ. A sense of peace will always accompany His will and direction- even when the direction might not have been our personal preference.
Also, a lack of peace will often accompany a mistaken path. As we grow in Christ, we will learn how to appreciate peace over personal preference. I'm learning that right now.
"Instead, you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.'" - James 4:15
"We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us." - 1 Corinthians 2:12
The best thing I can do is pray for wisdom and feel His peace.
You are absolutely right about the peace. Too many times I've felt peace only to go off my own way and have that peace leave me.
ReplyDeleteAnd feeling peace about something - a job, a relationship, whatever, is just so...peaceful.
And nice.
:)
Thanks for being transparent friend! :)
:)
ReplyDelete